Getting ready for university is incredibly exciting and worrying at the same time. Those feelings are completely normal – lots of people will be dealing with the same kinds of feelings as you. Most people are anxious to arrive but once you get here and realise that everyone is in the same boat it gets easier. To help get your packing started, we’ve put together a list of what’s included, what to bring, what to buy and what to leave behind…
All university managed bedrooms contain:
- Desk & chair
- Bed & mattress (bed size varies by building)
- Carpet, laminate or vinyl flooring
- Curtains or blinds
- Pin boards (these are the only place in which posters / photos are permitted – other wall areas should not be used for any decorative items or posters).
- Internet connection (Wireless and or wired connection)
- Electrical sockets
- Small room bin
All university managed shared kitchens contain:
- Cooker including grill and hob
- Sink with hot and cold water
- Worktop space
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mop & bucket
- Iron & ironing board
- Kitchen bin
- Broom and / or dustpan & brush
If you are living in a studio then you will have small kitchenette facilities in your room too. All university managed studio kitchenettes contain:
- Fridge with freezer box
What should I bring?
Every year, we always have some students who bring everything they own, and we know this is tempting, however please remember that there is only limited storage space so try to create a list of the essentials that you need;
- Documents – ID, passport, bank card, national insurance card (make digital copies as well)
- Necessary medicine, plasters,
- Laptop / Desktop PC (inc chargers!)
- Home comforts – cosy blanket, photos of family & friends – your own things to make your new room your home from home!
- All of our accommodation is self-catered so you will need to bring kitchen equipment (crockery, cutlery, pots/ pans – just enough to get you started)
- Clothes hangers (if you don’t want to bring these then there are lots of shops nearby!)
- Toilet Paper
What should I buy?
There are plenty of shops around the campus so anything which a necessity for your isn’t first week;
- Washing basket
- Storage boxes (often best to see the space you have once you’ve moved in!)
- Food (there are plenty of supermarkets nearby which means more room in your car / suitcase for the essentials!)
- Cleaning products
#TopTip – take a shopping trip when you arrive to stock up on some items to make your room more homely. It’s a great way to get to know each other but also to learn what’s nearby.
What should I leave behind?
Generally, leave behind anything that could be potentially dangerous or that you’ll already find in your flat when you arrive (we provide vacuum cleaners, iron and ironing boards!). Some examples of prohibited items are included below;
- Candles (or anything involving a naked flame!)
- Deep fat fryer
- You Pet (we have a strictly no pets policy which includes insects, reptiles and fish!)
- Your own heater (If your room isn’t warm enough then let us know – please do not bring your own heat source)
- Mains powered fairy lights
- Large items of furniture
- Drum kit / large speakers!
- Any class of weapon or firearm (includes fireworks, air pistols, ammunition, replica guns and paint ball guns)
Please do not bring any of these items in to the residences with you!