Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question related to accommodation at the University of Lincoln please read the information on this page. If you still cannot find an answer to your enquiry please contact us. 

First Year Accommodation Application Process

When can I apply for accommodation?

From 17th November the application system is open to any applicant who has accepted their course offer via UCAS, as their first choice or if you are awaiting an offer due to portfolio review, an interview or audition.

To apply you need to have accepted your offer at least 24 hours or one working day before you wish to submit an application. You will need your University of Lincoln applicant ID. You will have received this in your academic offer and it will also be included in an email which will be sent to you when you are able to apply for your accommodation.

*If you have deferred your place then you will need to reapply for accommodation from the 17th November, in the year prior to entry. We will not allocate accommodation earlier to unconditional or deferred status applicants.

What is my University of Lincoln Applicant ID (Student ID) number and how do I get it?

Your University of Lincoln Applicant ID becomes your Student ID number (once enrolled) which you will keep with you throughout your time at the University of Lincoln. It is either an 11 digit number and will usually start with the first three letters of your surname (e.g. ABC12345678) or for students applying from 2020 for the first time, it will just be an 8 digit number (e.g 25123456). You will have received this in your academic offer and it will also be included in an email which will be sent to you when you are able to apply for accommodation.

*Check your inbox and spam folder for the email. If you are sure that you have not received the email, then please email us with your full name, date of birth and UCAS number. 

Am I guaranteed accommodation?

We guarantee accommodation to first year students who confirm the University of Lincoln as their Firm choice with UCAS and make an application for accommodation by 1 September of their year of entry.

*Please note, applicants must have met all conditions and accepted their course offer by 1 September of their year of entry.

Lincoln is my insurance choice. Can I apply for accommodation?

If the University of Lincoln is your insurance choice, you will receive an email when you are able to apply for accommodation. We recommend that insurance applicants make an application for accommodation as soon as you are able to after the application system opens in February for insurance applicants.

We are unable to guarantee accommodation to insurance applicants. However, over the last few years, we have been able to offer a hall of residence room, on or off campus, to all insurance and clearing students.

Help, I’m having problems logging in.

Please check that you’re entering the email address and password you registered with, when you created the account correctly. If you’ve forgotten your password, you can reset it. If you’re still having problems, please contact us.

How can I change my email address on my online accommodation application account?

In order to change your email address for the application system, you need to log in to your accommodation account and select ‘Change email address’ from the ‘Account’ menu at the top of the page.

You will be asked to enter your current password and then enter the email address you would like to use to log in to the system. You will need to re-enter the email address again to make sure you have entered it correctly, once you have done that click okay. You will then see a notification confirming that your email address was changed successfully. You will also receive an email confirming that you have changed your email address and then a second email with a validation code in, which you will need to enter the next time you log in to the system.

Can I have a look around the accommodation before I apply for accommodation?

If you attend a University of Lincoln Open Day, you’ll be able to have a look at some of the accommodation that is available. The University also holds informal visit days on the third Wednesday of each month. On these days, our on campus accommodation will be open to view. If you’re unable to make any of the open days or visit days but are planning to make a trip to Lincoln then please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate a viewing.

If you are unable to visit us at all, then please don’t worry as you can also view videos and 360° images of our university managed residences on and off campus on our YouTube channel and our Round Me Virtual Tours.

Will I need to make a payment when I submit an application for accommodation?

No. When you apply for accommodation through the university, you will only need to select the required number of preferences of accommodation when you apply. You will not be required to make any payment for accommodation until you receive your accommodation offer.

I am deferring my place at the University of Lincoln. When should I apply for accommodation?

If you’re deferring your entry to university to the following academic year, then you should apply for accommodation when our application opens in your new year of entry. Further details will be available closer to the time. You will be emailed when the application system opens to confirm that you are now able to apply for accommodation.

How many accommodation options do I have to apply for?

For all first year undergraduate and postgraduate students applying for September, in order to submit your application you have to make four choices of accommodation in preference order so it’s a good idea to make a shortlist of the halls of residences that you like.

I’m trying to make my application for accommodation, but the halls I wanted to apply for are not available on the application form. Can I still apply for them?

Unfortunately not. If the hall of residence you wanted to apply for is not available on the application form, then this means that it has ‘reached its application limit’ and that we have more than enough applications to fill it. Once these limits are reached, you will no longer be able to include that development or room type in your application.There are still plenty of other choices for you to look at and you can find more information on all of our accommodation options here.

What does 'application limit reached mean'?

We often get asked why some developments or room types display ‘application limit reached’. Developments or room types will display this because there is a limit on the number of applications that can be made for each development or room type. Once these limits are reached, you will no longer be able to include that development or room type in your application. There are still plenty of other choices for you to look at and you can find more information on all of our accommodation options here.

Once I’ve made an application for accommodation, can I change my preferences?

Once you have submitted your online application, you are unable to change your preferences on the application portal. However, if you wish to change your preferences then you can email us with your request and if the accommodation option/s are still available on the application form then we can see if this is possible for you.

When emailing, please include your full name, date of birth, home address and your University of Lincoln Applicant ID number and list your new six preferences and we will let you know if this is possible.

How much will the accommodation cost?

The accommodation fee you pay depends on the type of room you have. We have a very wide variety of accommodation, and so the fees are varied too.

For further information on all of our on and off campus accommodation costs please take a look at our accommodation fees guide. You can also find information on each of the developments upfront costs, including deposit and down payment amounts and dates that the first instalment of rent is due!

*Please note that you will not be required to make any payment for accommodation until you receive your accommodation offer from us in August of your year of entry.

I am applying for the Medicine (BMBS) degree at the University of Nottingham Lincoln Medical School, can I apply for any accommodation?

The University of Lincoln has embarked on an exciting collaboration with the University of Nottingham to offer medical education in Lincolnshire. Students can now apply to study for the University of Nottingham’s Medicine BMBS degree based in Lincoln, taught by academic staff from both universities.

If you have been offered and accepted a place on the BMBS degree at Lincoln, we will be in touch to guide you through the accommodation process at Lincoln. We will send you your University of Lincoln Applicant ID which you will need to begin making your accommodation application.  You are able to apply for any of the accommodation options in Lincoln, Medical students are not restricted to a particular development. Your accommodation application will follow the same process as other courses and you will need to select six preferences from the available options on the online application, ranking them in preference order.

Do you have specific halls for Postgraduate students?

Postgraduate students are able to apply for any of the on or off campus halls of residences. In university managed accommodation, we try where possible to group postgraduate students together.

Will I get my first choice of accommodation?

We recommend that you apply as early as possible to increase the chance of getting a place in the hall of residence that you’d like. In order to submit your application you have to make four choices of accommodation in preference order so it’s a good idea to make a shortlist of the halls of residences that you like.

Is on-campus accommodation self-catering or is food provided?

All of our accommodation (both on and off campus) is self-catering. All of our shared apartments offer shared kitchen facilities for the apartment. The size of the shared kitchen will depend on the halls of residence and the apartment size that the room is contained within. All shared kitchens within university managed developments contain the following facilities; sink, oven and hob, fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle and dining area with chairs or benches *larger apartment sizes will contain more than one of each of the appliances.

All studio or one bedroom apartments include your own private kitchenette area.

I have just finished my foundation year at Lincoln and will be starting Year 1 in September, can I still apply through the first year application system as I want to live with other first years?

Yes – even though you have completed a foundation year in Lincoln, you are still able to apply through the university for your first year of your course. This is the same for students who have just completed their undergraduate degree and will be starting as a postgraduate student in the following September. As you are starting a new course type you are able to apply as a first year student.

Is on campus accommodation provided for families?

All of our on campus accommodation is designed for single occupancy. If you need family accommodation, please contact the Students’ Union Housing Team and we can give you advice and information on renting in the private sector.

Who do I talk to if I have a disability or need an accessible room?

If you have a disability or need consideration because of a medical condition we can help. We offer a number of accessible rooms with features to help students with a range of requirements.

If you have a disability or requirement that’s relevant to your accommodation, please contact the University of Lincoln Student Wellbeing Centre. We’ll then work with you and the Student Wellbeing team to find you the most suitable option.

First Year Accommodation Offers

When will I find out what accommodation I’ve been offered?

If you made Lincoln your Firm choice with UCAS and applied for accommodation before the 31st July, room offers will start  to go our from February. This is the same process for both Unconditional Firm and Conditional Firm applicants; no offers will be sent out until we have all students results.

If Lincoln is your Insurance choice or if you are coming through Clearing then accommodation offers will start to go out  the week after results day.

Can I request to live in the same accommodation as someone I know?

If you wish to specify additional preferences like friend requests or preferences within a building (e.g. if you wish to be placed on the ground floor etc.) then you will be able to do this when you accept your offer of accommodation. If you are allocated to university managed accommodation then you will be able to add this during the online accommodation agreement acceptance.

Where possible, the University will take these into account when allocating to specific rooms, but please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfil any of these additional accommodation preferences.

What happens if I do not like the accommodation that was allocated to me?

We will offer you the best option available on the day of allocation, taking into account your date of application, your application preferences and availability. We will only make each applicant one offer of accommodation so we recommend that you research all of your four choices of accommodation you make on your application.

If you are unhappy with your allocation then you can reject your offer of accommodation and ask to be placed on our waiting list. However, please note that waiting list applications will not be looked at until all students have been made an offer of accommodation and we cannot guarantee that we can make you another offer of accommodation or, if we can, what that offer of accommodation would be.

I am on holiday / I will not have internet connection during the period that you are sending out offers, what can I do?

You must have an internet connection in order to review your accommodation offer on the online accommodation portal – the offer cannot be accepted over the phone or in writing, it must be accepted online. If you do not accept your offer by the deadline of acceptance, then your offer will be withdrawn, and we cannot guarantee that it can be reinstated.

Who will I be living with?

Due to The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, the University cannot provide you with the details of your new flatmates. However, many students visit social networking sites such as Facebook to make contact with other people who will be living in their area.

Accommodation Services create specific university managed Facebook groups for our residents at each development. In order to join them you have to have accepted an offer of accommodation for that development for the following academic year. From here, lots of students find their flatmates and will go on to make their own flatmate group chats.

Please consider that if you choose to use social media to find your flatmates, it is important to remember that not all of the sites will be closed groups to residents only. Some sites are public and anyone can view your name and any other information you choose to post online, especially if you choose to include your new apartment and/or room number.

When can I move in?

Move in dates for each of the halls of residences are different. For a list of all the contract start and end dates please have a look at our accommodation fees guide.

Each development has different arrivals procedures which will be communicated to prospective residents nearer the time, once you have accepted your accommodation offer.

On move in day, do i need to book a time slot?

Due to the numbers of students moving into student accommodation during arrivals weekend, most developments will require you to book a time slot or will allocate you to a specific time slot for your building.

You will be given further information about the arrivals procedure and your allocated time slot or how to book a time slot after your accommodation has been confirmed. It is important that you move in during this chosen / allocated time slot to keep the day moving smoothly.

However, we do understand that sometimes there are delays when travelling so if you are running late on the day then just let us know.

What's included in my room and what do I need to bring?

To help get your packing started, we’ve put together a list of what’s included, what to bring, what to buy and what to leave behind for our university managed residences. For further details please see our arrivals pages.


Living in Residences

Where can I find a copy of my Accommodation Agreement Terms and Conditions?

For all university managed accommodation, you can view our Terms and Conditions here.

Once I’ve booked accommodation, how do I change the bank account that the accommodation fees will be taken from?

If you need to change the bank account that you’ve nominated your accommodation fees to be taken from, please contact our Finance Team by telephone on 01522 803120 or by email.

Will I have to vacate my room during the Easter and Christmas holidays?

No, all of our halls of residence accommodation agreements are either 40, 46, 48, or 50 weeks and are inclusive of Christmas and Easter holiday periods. You may stay in your room for the full period stated on your accommodation agreement.

If you wish to check your specific dates check on your accommodation agreement on your online dashboard.

Can I bring my car?

Parking is extremely limited. Some halls have a few parking spaces available, but we recommend that you don’t bring a car unless absolutely essential.

Valentine Court is the only university residence with car parking and has approximately 70 car parking spaces for residents. Permits will be £460 per year.  Please note that car parking permits will only be able to be applied for once allocations have been made after a-level results day. Priority will be given to Paramedic and Nursing Students.

Is contents insurance included?

All our university managed accommodation includes basic personal belongings insurance cover through Endsleigh Insurance. You’ll be able to log in to their website to view your insurance policy.

Laptops, tablets and phones aren’t covered outside of your room, so you may wish to consider taking out additional cover to protect these gadgets and other possessions.

*Please note that bicycles aren’t covered so if you plan on bringing a bicycle with you then you may wish to look to extend the cover or purchase your own insurance for that.

For claims information, or to extend your policy, visit the Endsleigh website.

Can I smoke in my room?

Smoking in public places has been illegal since 1st July 2007 and is strictly forbidden in all University of Lincoln halls of residences and buildings.

Can I bring my pet with me?

Pets are not permitted in university accommodation or any hall of residence.

I will be living in university managed accommodation, how do I find out my postal address and where will I collect post from?

Post / mail can be collected from the reception at your hall of residence. All post is stored by flat number, so please ensure that anyone sending you mail uses the full address details of your residence. For further information on collecting post and for our building postal addresses please click here

How do I report maintenance issues in my university managed accommodation?

There are lots of ways for you to report any problems in your accommodation to us. Don’t wait until an inspection or until you move out, we’re here to help and want to hear from you all year round. For more information, check out our reporting repair & maintenance page.

Who do I talk to if I’ve got a problem in my accommodation?

Accommodation Services are committed to providing safe, secure and well managed student accommodation for our students. We know that accommodation is a huge part of university life which is why we have a dedicated accommodation team who can offer help, advice and support to students through all years of their studies. Accommodation Services are here to help make your time at the University of Lincoln as successful and enjoyable as possible.

Located on the ground floor of our on campus student accommodation in Cygnet Wharf, Accommodation Services is a one-stop shop for all things accommodation where our students can access help and information for both on and off campus accommodation throughout their studies. We understand that many of our students are living away from home for the first time and this can be daunting, so our dedicated and professional team is available to help with enquiries about all aspects of student accommodation.

If you have a problem and you are not sure where to go, ask us – if we can’t help we will be able to direct you to someone who can.

What happens if I don’t like my flatmates? Can I move?

It is important that you’re happy where you live. If you want to change your room once you’ve moved in to your university managed accommodation, we are here to help.

In the event that you are not happy with your current university managed accommodation, it is possible to request a room change. For more information on the room change process in university managed accommodation please click here.

If you are unhappy in your current location or are considering a room change then please come and see someone in Accommodation Services, we are here to help!

I’m living in university managed accommodation, when will I get my deposit back?

If you are living in one of our university managed accommodation developments then you were not required to make a deposit payment. We ask all of our residents to make a £49 downpayment when they accept their offer of accommodation. A downpayment is different to a deposit as the down payment amount  is deducted from first terms accommodation payment (you will have paid £49 less in your first term than in terms two and three.

Currently, we do not require any of our residents in university managed accommodation to make a deposit payment.

Complaints & Contact Details

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Please put any complaints in writing. This can make it easier for us to understand your concerns.  Accommodation Services will respond within five working days. We’ll try to reply fully, but if this isn’t possible, we’ll at least send you an acknowledgement.

Where can I find the contact details for all of the halls of residences?

University of Lincoln Accommodation Services

(Lincoln Courts, Cygnet Wharf, 179 High Street, St. Marks Student Village, The Gateway, Valentine Court & Viking House)

Telephone: 01522 886231