Appeal for Release

We hope you are happy in your accommodation at the University of Lincoln. However, you may for a variety of reasons, wish to leave your Halls of Residence (or your designated room) ahead of this time. Here are some things you need to know…

Unfortunately, when students accept the terms of their accommodation agreement, this is legally binding for the fixed period of the agreement. However, we do have an appeals for release process in which students can apply for release if they have exceptional circumstances.

What’s the process?

If you are not happy with your student accommodation or are leaving university and think you want to be released from your accommodation then please come and see someone in Accommodation Services. We will talk to you and see if there is anything we can help you with. If you are would like to consider a room move to another room within your hall or another university managed hall, we can do this and let you know the room move request process.

However, if you are not happy and do not wish to live in your university accommodation then we can talk to you about this and give you an appeals for release form.

Please be aware that this is only granted in exceptional circumstances so you will need to supply any supporting evidence with your release request.

Once you have completed and submitted the form, we aim to process all accommodation appeal for release requests within 7 working days. If your accommodation appeal for release request is granted, you must notify us when you have vacated and emptied your room and hand in your keys/key card to Accommodation Services.

If you are due a partial or full refund on your accommodation fees, we will process the refund within 28 days of your termination date (if we have your details).

If you are not released from your accommodation agreement then you will still be liable for payment for the remainder of my accommodation agreement.

Replacement Tenant

If your release request is refused then we are unable to release you from your contract unless you find a suitable replacement student tenant. We will continue to charge you your accommodation fees until you find a replacement. It can be difficult to find a suitable replacement tenant during the academic year. We advise you to consider this when accepting your accommodation contract with us.

If you are unhappy in your current location or are considering leaving your accommodation then please do come and see someone in Accommodation Services. We can talk to you further about the situation and if required, provide you with an appeal for release form to complete.