Accommodation Help & Advice

A number of common problems can arise when you’re renting as a student and it’s not always easy to know where to turn. However, there are plenty of resources that you can use if you’re having issues with your student houses, you just need to know where to look.


Housing help


The City of Lincoln Student Housing Accreditation Scheme

The City of Lincoln Student Housing Accreditation Scheme provides a set of standards for landlords to provide ‘Safe, Secure, Well Managed Housing’. The scheme is led by Lincoln City Council and has a number of partners including; University of Lincoln, Bishop Grosseteste University, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, Lincolnshire Police Authority and Lincolnshire County Council (Trading Standards).

Popular private student housing areas within easy walking distance of the university can be found in the following areas:

  • ‘West End’ – including Carholme Road, West Parade, Yarborough Road and their side streets
  • ‘High Street’ – including High Street, Dixon Street, Sincil Bank and their side streets

If you live in a property which is registered on The City of Lincoln Student Housing Accreditation Scheme and are experiencing an issue with your landlord or need help with a problem then please contact us.

If you’re not sure if your property is registered then just contact the Housing Team and they can advise you.

If you have an unresolved issue with your property, in the first instance we would recommend that you email the landlord or agent and state the outstanding issues, clearly stating what the problem is or what has happened and give them a reasonable time frame to respond. You can copy us in to your email ( and then we can ensure that the landlord is responding appropriately to you. If they do not respond within the time frame you specified then let us know and we can then advise you further.



Re-letting your room

On our lettings advertising site, Studentpad, there is an online message board section where students are able to post messages to each other and to landlords. There are various categories and you can post adverts for rooms in your shared student flats/houses or find other students to go flat hunting with. It is designed exclusively for students attending the University of Lincoln.  To access the message board, click here

Please note that if you are looking to move out of your private accommodation and seeking a replacement tenant, it is a good idea to tell your landlord before you start advertising as it is likely that they will require the new tenant to sign a contract and facilitate the transfer of rooms.

You can also email us a poster which we will verify the property and that it’s accredited and then we will display it on our two notice boards in the Accommodation Office.  Our housing team will be happy to help you with this, please send us an email for more information or further assistance.



Housing advice

If you need legal advice on your rights and responsibilities of your tenancy agreement then our University Advice Service can help.